Saturday, June 20, 2009

Still alive!

I haven't updated in a while, but I'm still alive. I don't have time to upload photos at the moment, but I hope to soon. After Liz and I parted ways, I spent a week in Utrecht couchsurfing where I met some wonderful people. I have a few pictures from my stay with folks. Couchsurfing is really great for this kind of trip because it helps me get beneath the surface level, consumerist tourist attractions and experience the real culture and community of a place. I learned a lot about the Netherlands and Dutch culture this way. After Utrecht I biked to den Haag where I stayed for a few days. I hope to post more details about these two cities later, but right now I'm pressed for time.

I'm staying with Liz and her family in an apartment in Amsterdam. It's quite a change from my usual style of travel, although I am still sleeping on the floor. It's a challenge for me to hang out with them and still keep my spending level low. They want to go to museums, eat out, see shows, and buy impulse things.

I'm with them until Wednesday, and then I'm going to Berlin for an outdoor camping music festival that should be pretty cool. It's called "Fusion." I don't know anything about the music but I think it will be interesting. Plus, the festival has free camping and the cost is the same as if I paid for a campground every night. So that's not too bad. Although, to get there in time I have to take a bus with some people which will cost me 30 euro and break my streak of human powered traveling (except for the giant fucking airplane I came in on of course).

More in depth updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment