Monday, May 4, 2009

Garden

Here are some pictures from my garden. I'm using a companion planting technique known as the "three sisters." It's basically just corn, pole beans, and squash. Each plant provides something that the other plant needs. For instance, the beans fix nitrogen into the soil, which the corn needs, and the leafy squash helps keep moisture in the soil which helps increase corn output, and it also out competes any weeds that grow. The method is basically all about planting each plant at the right time so that they provide benefit to the others but down overgrow each other. I planted the corn about a 1 1/2 weeks ago. I'll put the beans in this week and then the squash goes in just before I leave. It's not ideal, but several people told me they'd take over the garden after I left. I'm crossing my fingers.





No comments:

Post a Comment